speed and conversions
If you already have an e-commerce, I bet you have heard at least once about activities such as page speed or optimizing the speed of your site. In this article, we will give you some suggestions to achieve a better score on Google Insights Page Speed and increase your conversion rate.
What is Google Page Speed?
Google PageSpeed Insights is a free tool for analyzing the performance of a website or e-commerce. It helps to discover the elements that prevent pages from loading in minimal time.
Its rating ranges from 0 to 100 where the minimum score indicates a very slow page while the maximum represents the endpoint, with higher speed.
The measurement work carried out by Google PageSpeed Insights applies to mobile and desktop devices and is based on a list of parameters to be respected, which we will see below.
What is Google Page Speed for and what does it affect?
According to Google research, important data has emerged on user behavior when browsing a site.
Every time a page loads too slowly, 79% of users are dissatisfied with the site’s performance and abandon it. 64% of smartphone users expect a website or e-commerce to load in less than four seconds. 47% of online shoppers expect web pages to load in less than two seconds.
The delay in loading web pages or the site can significantly negatively impact your sales. Through customer experiments, web performance optimizers have discovered that speeding up a page by just one second increased conversions by 7%.
Slow loading sites not only damage the user’s poor experience but also negatively affect Google’s paid search. With paid search, for example, slow landing pages reduce Google Ads’ quality score, which translates into a higher cost per click.
Poor site performance also worsens SEO results, damaging organic rankings across all devices.
How to get a high score in Google Page Speed
There are many points to consider if you want to optimize your website’s speed, from technical to more simple ones.
Here are some tips to keep in mind so as not to slow down your ecommerce:
- Use a fast and ready-to-use platform If you have an ecommerce, Shopify is definitely the right choice for you. It is easy, fast, and optimized specifically to increase the loading times of your web pages.
- Use a fast and reliable hosting service Your hosting service and infrastructure can influence the performance of your ecommerce website (especially during high traffic days).
- Only load optimized content on your store It may seem strange, but even the content you upload to your store has a big impact on the speed of the site. Make sure to only upload content that is optimized according to your store’s guidelines or for SEO purposes.
- Clean up your code More technical but no less important is the quality of your site’s code. Make sure to only customize parts of your site with trusted partners who guarantee the quality of the code implemented on your site.
- Evaluate app implementation carefully If you already have Shopify, it is very likely that you chose it for the simplicity of its app installations. But be careful! Before installing any type of app, you need to evaluate the real need for that functionality and its quality. By installing any app, pieces of code are implemented within the theme that often slow down the performance of your store.
Here are some points you can work on to improve your page speed values. So, are you ready to find out how performant your website is? You can do it on your own here; just enter your website’s URL. And remember! Even if you get a low score, don’t get discouraged!
At figuro, we can help you achieve excellent results!